Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sew What?! A Teenie Weenie Bikini

I may be running a little late; I can practically hear autumn outside my window.  No, no...I still hear summer as it coughs and wheezes its dying breaths before the final gasp on Friday.  It may seem like terrible timing but I live in Southern California and we are almost always bathed in sunshine!!!  What better way to celebrate those golden rays emanating from the center of our solar system than with an indoor sewing project?!

While rummaging through patterns at a thrift store I found a 60's bikini pattern and for no other reason than to see if I could sew a bra top, I paid the good woman at the register my two bits and headed home to conquer a bikini!


Because I was sewing this for no one in particular, I simply cut the one-size pattern, made no alterations and began sewing.  I chose an inexpensive, yellow, bandana-printed cotton from the stash.  The pattern went together especially easily and there was enough material left over to make a very-superficial "cover-up."  The cover-up is lined in black cotton; it has side vents and crocheted belt-loops (because I'm not sure what people who really know how to sew do for those "invisible-style" belt loops), and it is finished with a black, ribbon tie. 

The bikini is self-lined.
The bra closes with buttons and the shorts have a back-zip closure

Truth be told, I sewed this quite a while ago but as I am still working on keeping my mysterious malady at bay, I have neither gone anywhere exciting nor attempted anything too creative as of late.  While the swimsuit offers ample coverage to the wearer, this particular pattern was a rather teenie-weenie size; it ended up being so small that I had to pin it to the dress form.  So, it may not be polka dotted, but it is yellow and I think the song still applies.

"Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini" - Brian Hyland (1960)

The swimsuit may be complete, but I am still trying to figure out how to stuff this wild bikini!  A little help...

How to Stuff a Wild Bikini (1965)
(Source)

Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

5 comments:

  1. It's really cute! I love the fabric too

    We are finally getting summer weather! 95 today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just darling! Bravo!

    And I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. I will gladly take this off your hands if I can squeeze into it. Bathing suits are so hard, I have failed more than once at making them. I did manage to complete one about 10 years ago, but it was nowhere as cute as this. Well done my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all!

    Trixie - We must have swapped weather with the central coast; it has actually been pretty gloomy around here lately.

    Lauren - Thanks pal! As soon as I am back infighting shape we should all go on an adventure!

    Emily - you are more than welcome to try it on. It needs a good home!

    ReplyDelete