Thursday, November 24, 2011

Desert Oases: THANKFUL for Vintage Roadside

At this point, you are probably giving thanks that this is to be the last post from our whirlwind, desert, birthday extravaganza!  I, however, am somewhat wistful that it is all over.  Nevertheless, on this the official day of gratitude and giving thanks, I am reminded that the whole trip was joyful and, in the immortal words of Irving Berlin via Bing Crosby, "I've got plenty to be thankful for."

"I've Got Plenty to be Thankful for"

***SIDE NOTE***
Speaking of Bing, for whatever reason, our latest post about Bing Crosby's Blue Skies Trailer Village posted out of order.  If you haven't had a chance to read it, just follow the link.

I really do have plenty to be thankful for.  As my natural tendency is towards being a complete and utter ingrate, I must remind myself daily to count my many blessings.  I feel another song coming on.

"Count Your Blessings"

Hmmm, that Irving Berlin was an unnaturally grateful fellow.  Taking a note from him, I will share with you what fills our wacky tacky hearts with gratitude, at this time of year or any - VINTAGE ROADSIDE!!!  I won't go into detail on every attraction as the pictures are pretty self-explanatory.  I will say that we visited all of these spots in a 24-hour period and we are so grateful that sights like these are in relative abundance within a short distance of our home.  Furthermore, we are grateful for the creative minds that gave us these unnatural wonders of the world.  Further still, we are grateful for the nostalgic hearts that maintain these structures so we can continue in our pursuit of all things wacky tacky.

82-503 Hwy 111
Indio, CA




Pioneertown, CA
53688 Pioneertown Rd.
Pioneertown, CA

Beautiful!!
Pioneertown was once a western lot used to film scenes for movies and TV.
Roy Rogers broke ground for Pioneertown in 1946 with the help of
The Sons of the Pioneers, from which the town takes its name.

"Wagon Wheels"
I'm pretty sure this is what Heaven sounds like.
One of you will have to drop me a line and let me 
know as it is unlikely that I will find out firsthand.

Rustlin' some steer.

We would have died within five minutes of being on the trail.

That's one crazy totem pole!

I couldn't stop her...

You don't get like this by sucking lemons!

My new album cover

Boot Hill
So long, ol' friend.

The restrooms at Pappy & Harriet's in Pioneertown
"Studs" & "Fillies"

Interior of  the Bottle Wall at Pappy & Harriet's

Exterior of the Bottle Wall

Cabazon Dinosaurs
50770 Seminole Dr.
Cabazon, CA

True, the Cabazon Dinosaurs are iconic and
probably deserve an entire post of their own.
What can I say that hasn't already been said?
They are fundamental to the cause of wacky tacky.


If you've never had a chance to be inside a brontosaurus,
this is what it looks like.






Snake charmer


Tell me that you don't find this absolutely breathtaking.

Giant Gumby & Pokey - Norco, CA
4175 California St.
Norco, CA

The best part about Gumby and Pokey?  They aren't a marketing gimmick; 
they are just lawn art in someone's front yard.

Hahaha...he's doing what I'm doing.

Thank you, dear readers, for indulging me in my inherent neediness, childish behavior, and wacky tacky antics; Thank you for following along on our (mis)adventures and sharing your comments.  Lately life has been a bit crazy but with a brother-in-law deployed in the army and some health issues in the family and of my own, it is nice to put things in perspective and examine all that for which I should be thankful.  I have a healthy, beautiful nephew, an amazing family, and the support of friends; I count myself as very blessed and grateful!  HAPPY THANKSGIVING!


Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

2 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you and love that you share your adventures. I can't tell you how many of these are on my "gotta visit" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm so glad that you enjoy following along! I love to see all of your chic, vintage outings. You have such a great family!

    ReplyDelete