Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Sew What?! PACKING a Wallop!!!

Soooooo....it has become apparent to me that our subconscious suburban safari has been extended, with us managing to trek even further into the sartorial Serengeti.  You'll soon see what I mean....  


I've been on a sewing/crafting kick that is showing no signs of stopping and that is something about which I will not complain.  I'm getting a lot of satisfaction out of creating things that I feel are a better representation of my design sensibility and an opportunity to hone my skill set.  

The last thing Mary needs is more options in her full-to-bursting closet but when I get the itch to create, she is always happy to make the trip to buy more hangers.  With yet another example of Mr. Tiny's "Put a Lid On It" sun hats and a matching frock, Mary had a nice, new ensemble to don for the sun-soaked, grand opening of the Anaheim Packing House (est. 1919).

Anaheim Packing House - Anaheim, CA

Well, I guess that technically it was the grand re-opening.  First opened in 1919 as the central location for the processing and packing of Anaheim's abundant citrus crop, the Packing House has endured the ups and (mostly) downs of Anaheim's old downtown.  With a history that also includes life as a semi-questionable, less-than-savory living space, the Packing House has been completely rehabilitated with a definite eye toward historic preservation.  It is now a community space that houses multiple cafes, bars, and vendors of artisanal foods.  Things are looking up in downtown Anaheim!

As one might expect, it was a packed house at the Packing House on opening day.  Fortunately, from patios to park space to a cozy backyard, the Packing House offers plenty of charming outdoor space.  With friends, we escaped the crowds for some fresh-air photo ops.

Now do you see what I mean about our extended suburban safari?
I don't know why it didn't occur to me immediately, but this fabric print, an African
print (duh) from one of my favorite discount stores, screams mid-century safari!

Prints can be tricky for me (I usually dream in solid colors) but the
simplicity of the dress' silhouette required a print that packed a wallop -
perfect for a day at the Packing House!!! 

I redrafted a halter pattern to include a peek-a-boo, triangular cutout in the back bodice.
It really is just a peek-a-boo; those ties ended up being pretty concealing.
I hadn't sewn a proper dress in a while so I decided to attach the fully-lined bodice to a 3/4 circle skirt.

I've always been a fan of repurposed buildings; the idea of living in an old firehouse, post office, church, or barn is very appealing.  There must be a great thrill in bringing bustling new life to a space that has fallen into disrepair.  The revitalization of the Packing House is a true inspiration; it is definitely the crown jewel of the new downtown Anaheim and we have high hopes for its long-term success!

That's a funny way to squeeze orange juice...
Packing House at The Anaheim Packing District
440 S Anaheim Blvd
Anaheim, CA



Cheers!

Mr. Tiny

6 comments:

  1. I love that print! What a score. Lovely dress & hat too. Please start selling your creations. I'm dying to check out the Anaheim Packing District, and I"m so happy they are revitalizing/restoring the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely check out the Packing District; it is decidedly hipper than my usual haunts but we love a good makeover!

      Delete
  2. That fabric is gorgeous, and Mary looks fabulous as usual. I remember my parents had loads of packing labels from around the 1930's that they used to frame and sell - they were all the rage in the 1970's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love old packing labels; they're enjoying a resurgence in popularity in these parts for obvious reasons.

      Delete
  3. Another sewing masterpiece! Also, another place to add to our list of places to visit when we are in LA next year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! Yes, next time you are in town we will force you to come to the OC!

      Delete